Home » U.S. Immigration News » Visa » The most popular types of work visas in the United States

The most popular types of work visas in the United States

If you are planning to travel to the United States with the aim of working in this country, then first you need to familiarize yourself with the possible types of visas that will be relevant in your particular case.

  • H-1B

This type of work visa is the most common. Such a visa is issued to experienced highly qualified specialists. In order to obtain a H-1B visa, you need a diploma of higher education recognized in America, or at least 12 years of experience in the specialty. It also requires a specific offer from the employer with a salary level not lower than the average for the chosen position. This visa is issued for 3 years with the option to extend it up to 6 years. During this time, you can start drawing up or even get a green card. However, if you are not given a green card during this time, then when your visa expires, you will have to be outside the United States for at least a year to apply for the next one.

  • H-2B

The H-2B visa is a temporary visa for seasonal workers (hotels, ski resorts, construction, summer camps, sports, coaching, arts and show business, etc.). The sphere of agriculture is not included here – there is a separate H-2A visa for it. The H-2B visa is issued for a year, but it can be extended up to 3 years. The country has an annual quota for this type of visas in the amount of 66,000. Obtaining a Green Card is not provided for this type of visa.

  • H-3

This visa is intended for specialists who improve their qualifications, participate in educational programs or take courses that have no analogues in their home country.

  • L-1

Visa L-1 is issued to executives and high value specialists of a particular company registered in the United States. Depending on the position, it is issued for 3-7 years. The main requirement is official work in the organization for at least 12 months over the past three years.

types of work visas in the United States