|Instructions in Spanish||Instructions in Russian|
U.S. Passport Application
Overview of the Application Process for a U.S. Passport
|Procedure Name:||U.S. Passport Application for United States citizens, application form DS-11: Application for A U.S. Passport.|
|Passport Purpose:||The main purpose of a passport is to be used as a travel document. A passport is valid for international travel by air, sea or land. A passport also may be used as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship and as an official form of identification.|
|Eligible Applicants:||United States passports are only issued to U.S. citizens. Every U.S. citizen has the right to obtain a U.S. passport.|
|Validity/Expiration:||U.S. passports are issued for 10 years for adults and for 5 years for minors under age 16.|
|Where to Apply:||Application for a U.S. passport can be submitted at a Passport Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency. If the applicant is abroad then the application can be filed at a U.S. consulate or embassy abroad. Order this guide to learn more details about the passport application process and to learn how to start your passport application. First time applicants, children, and certain renewals must apply for a passport in person. However, certain renewals may be submitted by mail. Order and download this information package online now to learn how to apply for a U.S. passport.|
The United States passport is one of the passports giving more benefits in the U.S. and when traveling internationally. As an American citizen you have the right to obtain a U.S. Passport to have your citizenship recognized and to enjoy the benefits of a U.S. Passport. If you are applying for a U.S. passport for the first time, then you will need to apply in person. In certain cases you may renew your passport by mail. Some of the benefits of traveling with an American passport include no visa requirement when travel to most countries in the world, also enjoy assistance at U.S. embassies and consulates around the world. When entering the United States with your U.S. passport enjoy free travel in and out of the country without limitation and a special immigration line for U.S. citizens.
Eligibility to Apply for a U.S. Passport:
The main requirement to be eligible to apply for a U.S. passport is to be a citizen of the United States. Some people are U.S. citizens by birth inside the U.S., or by birth abroad (usually by having one or two American parents complying with certain requirements of physical presence in the US), other people become U.S. citizens by the process of Naturalization. One of the main requirements to obtain a passport of the United States is to be able to present proof of your U.S. citizenship. Applicants who are currently green card holders can order the Citizenship Application Instructions.
Warning: This site does not issue passports and does not process passport application. Only the United States Department of State has the authority to issue U.S. passports. Passport applicants must submit their passport application directly with the Department of State or at the officially authorized passport application acceptance facilities using routine service or expedite service. What you are ordering in this site is the “Passport Application Information Package”, a guide with information and step by step instructions on how to apply for a U.S. Passport. The cost of this guide does not include the cost to apply, issue or renew a passport. The applicable fee to issue or renew a passport must be paid directly to the Department of State or to the authorized passport application acceptance facility when submitting the passport application form.
How to Apply for a U.S. Passport?
Order this Passport Guide to learn how to apply for a passport, how to obtain passport application forms, instructions, and more information about how to apply for a passport.
Where to Apply?
Application for a U.S. passport can be submitted at a Passport Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency. If the applicant is abroad then the application can be filed at a U.S. consulate or embassy abroad. Order this guide to learn more details about the passport application process and to learn how to start your passport application. First time applicants, children, and certain renewals must apply for a passport in person. However, certain renewals may be submitted by mail.
Passport Book vs. Passport Card
A U.S. Passport Card is valid when entering or leaving the United States to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. A Passport Card is not valid for international travel by air. A regular U.S. Passport (passport book) is valid for international travel by air, sea or land.
This page can be found on: https://www.usimmigrationapplication.org/us-passport/us-passport-application
Information and Instructions about the U.S. Passport Application included in this immigration guide:
- Who is eligible to apply and obtain a United States passport?
- How to show proof of my American Citizen?
- How to apply for a passport?
- Requirements to obtain a U.S. passport?
- Passport application and renewal fees
- Where to apply for a passport of the United States?
- List of passport agencies and passport acceptance facilities.
- How to locate a passport facility or passport agency.
- How to obtain a passport if you are currently outside of the United States?
- How to obtain a new passport if my passport was lost or stolen?
- Requirements for children obtaining a passport.
- How long does it take the process of applying for a US passport?
- How to rush a passport application to obtain a passport urgently?
- Passport photography requirements.
- What are the processing fees and forms of payment for a passport application?
- How to check the status of your pending passport application online, by email or phone.
- Does the United States allows double citizenship?
- Can I have a United States passport and a non-U.S. passport (also known as double citizenship)?
- General application requirements, processing information and links to official forms.
Passport Application Related Forms
Order this Passport Information Package to learn how to access and how to apply using the following passport application forms:
- Application Form for A U.S. Passport in Person
- Application Form to Renew U.S. Passport by Mail
- Passport Application Form: Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport
- Passport Application Form: Statement of Consent – Issuing a Passport to a Minor under Age 16
- Passport Application Form: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement
- Passport Application Form for Additional Visa Pages or Miscellaneous Passport Services
- Passport Application Form: Birth Affidavit
- Passport Application Form: Affidavit Regarding a Change of Name
- Passport Online Application Wizard
- Passport Forms Instructions
Disclaimer: We are not affiliated with the government, we are a private publisher of information guides. This product only includes instructions, it does not include filing fees, or any other charges to submit your application.