Home » U.S. Immigration News » U.S. Citizenship » VOTING from ABROAD


posted in: U.S. Citizenship 0

voting abroad

It doesn’t matter where you are now, in the United States or abroad, today you can vote electronically even if you are not in the territory of the U.S. The U.S. citizen can get the voting ballot by email, fax, or internet download; it depends on the state in which he/she is allowed to vote.

Almost all U.S. citizens 18 years or older who live outside the United States are eligible to vote absentee for candidates for federal offices in U.S. primary and general elections. In order to vote from abroad, the U.S. national first should complete a new Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), print and sign the form then return it to the local election office in the United States by fax or email. It is better to do it every January, every time U.S. citizen moves or changes the address, email or name.

The U.S. national will receive his/her blank ballot 45 days before general and mid-term elections and generally 30 days before special, primary, and run-off elections for federal offices. After that, the voting ballot must be completed warily and readably, and must be returned to the local election officials before the state’s ballot receipt deadline. The U.S. national can give it back some ways: by local mail, fax, email, or internet, at the U.S. Embassy or by express courier service.

If the U.S. citizen did not receive the ballot 30 days before the election, he/she should complete and submit a Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB), then contact the Voting Assistance Officer at the nearest U.S. Embassy/Consulate for help, or visit FVAP.gov to complete the FWAB using their online wizard.

It is important to know that voting for candidates for state or local offices could affect your state tax liability, but not for candidates for federal offices.


To get more detailed information about immigration to the United States, please visit http://www.usimmigrationapplication.org/citizenship