N-400 is an application for US Citizenship. This form is quite long, but after a little preparation, you can fill out the application yourself. Below is a list of N-400 documents that will help answer some of the frequently asked questions about these documents and some of the most common ways to reject the N-400.

US citizenship

Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)

One of the main USCIS requirements is that N-400 applicants have a valid green card that has not yet expired. Typically, you will need to attach a photocopy of your card along with your N-400 application. However, many applicants with a lost, stolen or damaged green card have obtained citizenship using CitizenPath. But by law, permanent residents are required to carry proof of status with them. Therefore, it is recommended to have a valid green card with you, which has not yet expired.

In addition, within 8-12 months, in order to obtain citizenship, you must have a green card for several other purposes, such as:


State fees

Most people will pay government fees to complete the N-400 Citizenship Application Form. The current registration fee is $ 640 plus $ 85 for biometric services. One payment of $ 725 must be made to the US Department of Homeland Security using a personal check, money order, or cashier’s check. You can even pay by credit card. Please attach Form G-1450 to pay by credit card.

Applicants aged 75 and over are exempt from biometric service fees. Also, applicants applying on the basis of qualifying military service do not pay any fees

Fee Waiver

Low-income applicants or those with certain financial difficulties may be eligible for partial or full fee waiver.

Marriage documents

In the event that you are married or have ever been married, you will need a copy of your current legal marital status document. This includes:

  • Marriage certificate; or
  • divorce document; or
  • ex-spouse’s death certificate.

US citizenship

Name change documents

In the event that you have changed your name, you will need to provide proof of a legal name change. To determine if this applies to you, take a look at your current green card. If your current name is different from the name on your green card, you need to provide documentation to prove the name change. Examples of acceptable documents include:

  • marriage certificate; & nbsp;
  • divorce court order; & nbsp;
  • any court-issued document in which your name has been legally changed.

Evidence of dissolution of previous marriages

In addition to confirming your current marital status, you will need proof that all previous marriages have ended. In other words, you will need proof that all previous marriages have been dissolved as a result of divorce or death.

Evidence that the spouse was a US citizen for at least 3 years

To comply with this provision, you must provide proof that your spouse has been a US citizen for at least three years and continues to be a US citizen. Examples of acceptable evidence include a photocopy of your spouse’s documents:

  • birth certificate (if your spouse has not changed citizenship since birth); & nbsp;
  • passport of a US citizen; & nbsp;
  • certificate of citizenship; & nbsp; < / li>
  • Form FS-240, U.S. Citizen Abroad Birth Report.

Proof that marriage is real

You need to provide supporting evidence that the marriage is genuine. Typically, this can be most effectively demonstrated with documents that show that you have shared finances, have lived together permanently, and have shared children (if applicable).

Copies of birth certificates of children born in wedlock (if possible).

Any other evidence of family ties that speaks to your bona fide marriage. You can provide photos of both spouses (for example, on vacation, away, etc.). Include the date, place and names of other people in the photo.

Give some examples of your marriage in good faith. It is important to show that you have shared financial responsibilities, cohabitation, and family ties (such as photographs). Provide examples covering the entire three-year period for all evidence, if possible.

US citizenship