Step by Step Application Instructions
  Instructions for Forms and Petitions included
  Secure Connection Encrypted with our SSL-Certificate
  24/7 Email Support
  Download and order now
Format: Download Instructions online
Included: Instructions, Forms Instructions
Language: English

Instructions in Spanish Instructions in Russian

Green Card through Marriage

Overview of the Application Process for a Green Card through Marriage

Procedure Name: Green Card Visa Application for non-U.S. spouse, Form I-130. Green Card registration Form I-551.
Purpose: Applying for a Green Card through marriage. The Green Card application by the U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States for a foreign husband / wife, namely, for the wife, husband and children under 21 who are not married and wish to immigrate and live in the United States. A foreign-spouse and children from a previous marriage, getting a Green Card, can live legally in the United States with a citizen or resident of the United States.
Eligible applicants: Married couples, where one is a U.S. citizen and the other is not an American citizen, have the right to get a Green Card for the non-U.S. citizen, if a married couple lives together in the United States. If the foreign spouse (husband/wife) has minor and not married children, they also have the right to obtain a Green Card as adopted children of the American parent (step-father, step-mother).
How to obtain the Green Card through Marriage: On the basis of the application, the U.S. citizen is a sponsor when filing a petition for the foreign wife or husband. The petition must be filed in the U.S.
 How to apply: Order this guide to learn more details about the application process and to learn how to start Green Card through Marriage application.

How to Apply for a Green Card Through Marriage with a U.S. citizen

marriage-based-green-cardgreen card is also called an immigrant visa or legal permanent residence, and it allows you to live permanently in the United States with many rights as a permanent resident. As green card holder has the legal right live, work and study in the United States. Married couples with one American citizen and one non-American citizen in general have the right to apply for a green card for the non-American citizen to have the married couple living together in the United States of America. In most cases if the alien spouse has underage and unmarried children they are also eligible to apply for a green card as step children through their American Citizen step parent.

The immigration application for a green card or Lawful Permanent Residence through marriage is a process involving multiple steps. There are few different ways to apply and obtain a green card through marriage, but also several requirements, procedures, and application forms to file. You have to submit support documentation to prove that you are eligible to apply for a green card though marriage. In terms of the application the American citizen will be sponsoring by filing a petition for his foreign national wife or husband. The petition can be filed in the U.S. or in some limited cases the green card through marriage petition can be filed abroad. There are several requirements for both the sponsor and the green card applicant. Once the petition for an immigrant visa is approved them there are many other steps in the process including apply for the actual immigrant visa at a U.S. consulate abroad, or if the foreign spouse is present inside the U.S. then it is possible to adjust status to change from a non-immigrant visa into an immigrant visa that will give the right to live in the U.S. and obtain a green card.

Consular Application for a Green Card Through Marriage or Adjustment of Status in the United States

Some American citizens living abroad, instead of filing the petition for their spouse in the United States, may apply and petition for the spouse at certain U.S. consulates abroad that have an USCIS immigration office. This usually makes the application process faster, however not all citizens and not all consulates are eligible for this consular application process as there are certain requirements including a minimum time of residency abroad. Spouses of U.S. citizens that are currently in the United States with a legal status with another type of visa may be eligible to adjust status and change from their current non-immigrant status as a visa holder and become U.S. Legal Permanent Residents without having to leave the country. To learn more about the application process applying at a local U.S. consulate or inside the U.S. or how to adjust status please order this green card through marriage information package.

K1 fiancée fiancé visa

The green card through marriage application package also includes information about how to apply for the K1 fiancée visa for engaged couples that are not married yet, and prefer to apply first for a fiancée visa to travel to the U.S., and then get married in the U.S.

Conditional Green Card for couples that have been married for less than two years

Married couples that got married less than two years before receiving their immigrant visa as legal permanent residents they will initially receive a green card valid for two years only and with conditions. 90 days before the green card two year expiration then the couple is supposed to apply together to remove the conditions on their green card, to remove the green card the couple show go to an interview and provide evidence showing that the marriage is legitimate. However if at the time of receiving the visa approval the marriage is already two years or longer, then the new immigrant will receive a valid green card valid for 10 years.

This page can be found on:

 Information and Instructions about the Green Card through Marriage

included in this immigration guide:

Immigration is a complex process and as you start you application you may have several questions about the application process for a green card through marriage. Information and Instructions about the Green Card are included in this immigration guide:

  • What is a green card or a Lawful Permanent Resident Card of the United States?
  • How to apply for a green card though marriage if I am married to an American citizen?
  • Should we apply in the U.S. to adjust status from another visa to a green card? or should we apply at our local U.S. consulate abroad?
  • Which U.S. consulates abroad have USCIS immigration offices and are able to process green card through marriage petitions?
  • How to provide and prepare documentation with support evidence?
  • Requirements to apply for a green card through marriage?
  • Difference between a conditional resident card and a non-conditional permanent resident card?
  • How to apply for a green card for the underage unmarried children of my spouse?
  • What type of application forms to file?
  • How to find official forms and instructions?
  • General Information about how to apply for a green card including application forms
  • For how long do we have to be married to receive a green card?
  • If we are not married yet, where should we get married? in the U.S.? or abroad?
  • Can I get married to a U.S. citizen outside of the U.S., and still be eligible to obtain a green card?
  • How to get a fiancé or fiancée visa for my girlfriend or boyfriend to travel to the U.S.?
  • What if we get divorced? Can I still obtain or keep my green card or citizenship?
  • What if my husband/wife died? Can I still get my green card?
  • Contact information for U.S. embassies and consulates abroad
  • USCIS contact information in the U.S.
  • Once I have a green card, can I apply for the U.S. citizenship? How long do I have to wait to apply?

Green Card through Marriage Application Related Forms

  • Petition for Alien Relative
  • Poverty Guidelines
  • Affidavit of Support under Section 213A of the Act
  • E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance
  • Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
  • Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)
  • Choice of Address and Agent
  • Case status forms

Green Card through Marriage
Order this guide to learn how to apply for a green card through marriage.

Disclaimer: We are not affiliated with the government, we are a private publisher of information guides. This product only includes instructions, it does not include filing fees, or any other charges to submit your application.