Home » U.S. Immigration News » Visa » Petition for K-1 visa

Petition for K-1 visa

posted in: Visa 0

k 1 visaThe process of obtaining K-1 Fiancé(e) visa is multistep and rather complicated. It is important to observe and follow all the rules and procedures for submission of documents for a visa to the United States, as it affects the result: whether you will get a visa or not. To begin with it is important to mention about the notion of K-1 visa. It is a non-immigrant visa in the U.S. which allows the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. Once the couple marries, the foreign citizen can adjust status to become a lawful permanent resident of the United States (Green Card holder). The U.S. Embassy in the country, that is a home to the applicant for a visa, issues K-1 visas.

The procedure of application for a K-1 Fiancée Fiancé Visa begins with the filing of a petition to the USCІS in the United States by an American citizen.

When submitting petitions you have to pay a state fee. The size of this fee, as well as other visa fees may change without notice.The petition must include the children of the groom / bride, even if this time they will not go to the United States. USCІS establishes obligatory conditions of petition approval.

The U.S. citizen sponsor must fill in the Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), with the USCIS office that serves the area where she/he lives. Form I-129F cannot be filed at a U.S. Embassy, Consulate, or USCIS office abroad.

After USCIS approves the petition, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC), which in turn forwards it to the Embassy or Consulate nearest the foreign fiancé(e). The Embassy or Consulate will notify the foreign fiancé(e) that a petition has been received, and provide information about how to schedule a medical exam with the panel physician, how to schedule an appointment for a visa interview at the Embassy, and the required documentation to bring with the foreign fiancé(e) to the interview. Prior to the interview, the foreign fiancé(e) will have to apply for the K1 visa.

At the visa interview a Consular officer reviews the documents that both the American petitioner and the foreign fiancé(e) have submitted. The Consular officer looks for evidence of a relationship (photographs together, evidence of remittances to the fiancé(e), phone bills showing calls to each other) and asks the foreign fiancé(e) questions to determine that a genuine relationship exists.

To learn more about the process of obtaining a K-1 visa, please visit our website http://www.usimmigrationapplication.org/visas/k1-fiancee-visa