Home » U.S. Immigration News » Visa » Can I travel to the US while my green card application or fiancee visa is in process and pending?

Can I travel to the US while my green card application or fiancee visa is in process and pending?

If you intend to reside permanently in the United States, you must wait until you receive your immigrant or fiancé(e) visa. You may not reside in the United States with a tourist visa or without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program while waiting for your visa to be issued.

In addition, when you travel to the United States, you must have a visa even if it is temporary. Immigration officials are very strict about people who travel to the United States illegally. Be careful because if you are in doubt, you will be prohibited from returning to the United States.

Tourist visa for travel


Plane view from the skyHowever, if you are temporarily in the United States to visit family, friends, or sightseeing, you will need a B-2 Tourist Visa.

In addition, you must justify to the immigration officer that this is only a short stay. You can travel without a visa if you meet the requirements of the Visa Waiver Program (check with the U.S. Embassy in advance as conditions apply).

If you apply for a B-2 visa, you will need to prove your residence outside the United States to which you intend to return at the end of your temporary stay.

If the immigration inspector is not satisfied that you came for pleasure, you will be refused entry into the United States.

What is a B-2 visa?

The B-2 visa is a U.S. visitor visa that allows entry into the U.S. for tourism, pleasure, or to visit relatives. It gives you the opportunity to visit tourist sites and create new contacts who can invest in your business in your country.

Holders of a U.S. Tourist Visa can carry out the following activities:

  • Spend holidays in the United States
  • Visit different cities in the USA
  • See friends or family
  • Participate in social events
  • Going there for medical treatment
  • Take short courses where you will not receive credit (cooking classes).

The difference with the B-2 visa, unlike the other visas, is that there is no ceiling. All that is required is that you just have to meet the requirements.

Many visas allow you to travel freely within the United States while you wait for your Green Card or k-fiancee visa application to be finalized. Some are more suitable under certain conditions. I recommend the B2 tourist visa as mentioned above. It has many advantages and can be used if you wish to travel (stay in the United States temporarily).