Home » U.S. Immigration News » Green Card » How to get an immigrant visa outside the US

How to get an immigrant visa outside the US

Immigrant visa outside the US

immigrant visa outside the US

If the green card applicant is outside the United States, then the final stages of the green card application and the final interview will be held at a US embassy abroad. Once the I-130 petition, with the appropriate fees and requirements, has been filed and approved by USCIS in the United States, USCIS will send the petition to the US Department of State’s National Visa Application Center (NVC).

Once the petition is received by the NVC, it will be assigned a case number for the petition and an address and agent selection form will be submitted.

NVC will begin pre-processing the applicant’s case by providing instructions on how to file the appropriate application fees. After paying the application fees, NVC will ask you to provide all required documents for an immigrant visa, including affidavits of support, application forms, civil documents, and other requirements.

Once NVC determines that the applicant’s file meets all requirements, the green card applicant will be asked to attend an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate where the applicant resides in order to complete the immigrant visa application process. If the immigrant visa is approved, the alien will receive an immigrant visa to travel to the United States.

Application for an immigrant visa at the US Embassy

immigrant visa outside the US

Applicants who have been notified by the US Embassy of an approved petition must complete an application form at the US Embassy in order to obtain an immigrant visa.

Step One – Apply Online for a DS-260 Immigrant Visa

Step Two – Gather Supporting Documentation.

Step three – physical examination

Step Four – Interview with a Consular Officer

Step five – cross the border to the US and get a green card

Usually, a few weeks after an immigrant visa holder enters a country, USCIS mails their green card to them. You will have the option to enter the US mailing address where you would like to receive your green card.

Note. Children of a prospective immigrant may submit a separate visa application if they are unmarried, eligible to be listed under your visa classification, and under the age of 21 at the time of entry into the United States.