Home » U.S. Immigration News » Green Card » What to do if you lose your green card?

What to do if you lose your green card?

A green card is proof of your right to live and work in the United States. The loss or theft of this document will prove to be a very unpleasant event.

It is worth noting that losing your ID does not mean that you have lost your status as a permanent resident of the United States. However, not having a green card can be a major problem when traveling, hiring, or other daily activities.

Let’s consider a few of these situations.

Your green card is lost or stolen in the United States

If you are in the USA and have lost your green card , then it is not difficult to replace it. You need to file the I-90, Application for Replacement Permanent Resident Card as soon as possible. But keep in mind that it can take more than six months to get a new one. This is a problem if you need to start a new job or travel abroad soon.

In the event that you need to go abroad before receiving a new green card, you can make an appointment with the local USCIS office. There, request a stamp I- 551 in your passport. The stamp is a temporary proof of your permanent residence in the United States. Usually, a temporary seal is valid for one year. However, if you do not have a passport, try contacting the consulate in your country in the United States and apply for a passport.

Take Form I-797C Action Notice to receive a temporary seal. An Action Notice is a receipt letter that confirms that you have correctly filed a Form I-90 to replace your green card. You will be given your Form I-797C approximately 2-3 weeks after you filed your I-90.

Loss of green card

When a green card is lost or stolen outside the United States

In this case, you can notify the police department of the jurisdiction in which your green card was stolen. It is important to obtain a travel document to board a transport carrier if you are outside the United States and your green card is lost or stolen. To do this, prepare Form I-131A, Travel Document Application. It must be submitted to the nearest US embassy or consulate.

In the United States, you will need to complete a I-90 Permanent Resident Card Replacement Application to replace a missing green card.

If you have been outside the US for more than one year without a re-entry permit , then you need to contact an immigration attorney before attempting to re-enter in the USA. Permanent residents who travel abroad frequently or for extended periods should understand the difficulties that may arise when returning to the United States. In this case, you should apply for a re-entry permit.

Green card lost in the mail

It happens that USCIS sent you a green card, but you never received it. If the card is lost in the mail, you need to apply for a replacement card using Form I-90. Depending on the circumstances, USCIS may replace it free of charge.

If you followed the delivery on the Internet, you can & nbsp; check the status & nbsp; and find out when USCIS sent the card. Wait at least 30 days from the date of submission. This waiting period allows sufficient time for the card to be mailed and returned to USCIS if delivery is not possible. Check your initial application and make sure you provide the correct mailing address. If your green card was lost in the mail, then USCIS will replace it free of charge if the situation meets & nbsp; all & nbsp; the following criteria :

  • USCIS mailed the card more than 30 days ago;
  • it was returned to USCIS as non-deliverable;
  • you are not changed the address provided by USCIS.

Please confirm these facts before completing Form I-90.

Appeal against refusal

USCIS specialists will send you a letter explaining the reason for the refusal if your application for a replacement green card is rejected. You cannot appeal a negative decision. However, you have the right to file a request for reopening or a request for review of a decision with the same agency that made the original decision.

It is advisable to seek the help of an immigration attorney if USCIS rejects your application for a replacement green card.

Loss of green card