Home » U.S. Immigration News » Visa » Does a visa guarantee entry into the United States or is it possible to refuse entry at the port of entry?

Does a visa guarantee entry into the United States or is it possible to refuse entry at the port of entry?

A visa does not guarantee entry into the United States, nor does it guarantee a period of stay in the United States. A visa allows a foreign national arriving from overseas to travel to a port of entry in the United States and request permission to enter the country.

US Department of Homeland Security, Customs, and Border Protection officials have the power to authorize or deny entry into the country and determine how long the traveler can stay.

B1 / B2 visa

US immigration inspectors or port of entry officials want to make sure you are trying to enter the US based on the conditions and requirements that apply to your visa. For example, you have a tourist visa, but the officer suspects that you are going to work illegally. In this case, you may be denied admission. Or if an officer suspects that you are trying to enter the country for the purpose of marrying an American and then stay. The officer may refuse entry and ask you to reapply for the appropriate visa (K-1 Fiancée Fiancé Visa).

There are many categories of visas in the United States, and each category depends on the purpose of your trip. Therefore, it is very important to understand what type of visa is suitable for your travel plans in order to avoid being denied entry.

B1 / B2 visa

B1 and B2 visas allow you to enter the country as a visitor. For a limited time only, B1 / B2 visa holders are not allowed to work or live in the United States. They must enter the country and stay briefly for tourism or business purposes.

The B1 visa is a business visitor visa. It is designed for people who want to travel to the United States for business purposes. For example, if you are the owner or employee of a business in your home country, you can travel to meet with companies you do business with or travel to a business conference. With a B1 visitor visa, you can travel to the United States to hold business meetings, conclude contracts (for example, between your business in your country and US companies), attend conferences, participate in short-term training, but you are not allowed to work in the United States.

Bank accounts with B1 / B2 visa

Some tourists or business visitors open bank accounts in the United States, get credit cards, buy a house or car to use when traveling to the United States. The Immigration Service has access to a lot of your personal data. Also, if an employee suspects that you have opened a bank account or other actions for the purpose of illegal work or permanent residence in the United States, the officer may deny you admission. Opening a bank account or getting a credit card as a tourist or business visitor is not illegal. However, it is important to have evidence supporting the reason for receiving these bills or credit cards. You may bring with you some proof of your ties to your home country, proof of work or business in your country, and other proof that you do not work or live illegally in the United States.

You do not have to work or get paid for the services you provide on a B1 / B2 visa. If you try to work with this type of visa, you may be deported from the United States. Moreover, you can get a ban on entering the country for several years. If you want to work in the United States, you will need to apply for a work visa, investor visa, green card, or the correct immigration status to allow you to work.

B1 / B2 visa