Home » U.S. Immigration News » Green Card » Adjustment of Status to Obtain Green Card While Inside the US

Adjustment of Status to Obtain Green Card While Inside the US

Obtain a Green Card while Inside the United States

If the green card applicant is already present in the United States with a non-expired visa/stay and entered the U.S. legally, then the prospective green cardholder may be able to file a Form I-485 application to adjust the status to lawful permanent resident at the same time as the American citizen file the I-130 relative petition. 

Petitions filed at the same time with permanent residence applications (I-485) must be filed at a location that is different from where you would file an I-130 petition by itself. Read the instructions for the two addresses where concurrent filings can be mailed. Then the relative can wait inside the U.S. to have an interview at the nearest USCIS office. 

If the green card is approved then the applicant’s immigration status may be adjusted and changed from a current non-immigrant visa into an immigrant visa that gives the right to work and live in the U.S. permanently.

Review the instructions below for form I-485 to learn about the filing fees, address to submit this form, and other requirements to start a petition for an alien relative.

Receive a Green Card

After finalizing the process of adjustment of Status the USCIS will send a green card in the mail.  You will have the opportunity to provide the U.S. mailing address where you would like to receive the green card.

Adjustment of Status to Obtain Green Card