Requirements for getting Citizenship through Marriage
Many girls dream of marrying an American, it seems to be one of the easiest ways to obtain citizenship and stay in the country of great opportunities. But not everything is so simple: you need to meet certain requirements.
How to obtain U.S. Citizenship through Marriage?
If you register a marriage only for the purpose of obtaining a Green Card, it is fraud and crime, which involves $250,000 fine and up to 5 years in prison. If in this way a person has obtained U.S. citizenship, it may be deprived of his citizenship and deported from the country.
What do you need to get citizenship:
- to be over 18 years of age;
- have a spouse who is a U.S. citizen for at least 3 years;
- have a Green Card for at least 3 years;
- actually live in the U.S. for a total of at least 1.5 years;
- live on the territory of the state in which you apply, at least 3 months before you filed;
- to be married to a U.S. citizen all 3 years before the application;
- have at least a minimal knowledge of the English language (be able to read, write and speak), as well as the economic and political structure of the United States and the history of the country, because you need to pass the exam;
- to have high moral qualities, to know the principles of the U.S. Constitution and not to have problems with the law in the past;
- to be in the U.S. at the time of applying.
Note: For spouses of U.S. citizens who working abroad, there are less strict conditions for obtaining U.S. citizenship.