Home » U.S. Immigration News » Visa » Marriage and a Green Card

Marriage and a Green Card

just married holding hands

The number of people applying for the Green Card grows every year. Still one of the most popular ways to receive Green Card is the visa through marriage.
Fortunately, the U.S. government provides many opportunities, taking to consideration different situations and marriage status.

These are the main requirements, steps and procedures:

First, good news for those couples who already are married! You have an opportunity to receive Conditional Green Card, presumes you have been married for less than two years. In this case a non-citizen receives a Green Card valid for two years, with certain conditions. 90 days before the two-year green card expiration you will have to prove marriages legitimacy with passing the interview.

What if you have been married for more than 2 years?

 If a couple has been married for more than two years, the new immigrant will receive a Green Card with a 10 years validity.


Another popular way to arrive to the U.S. is a K1 visa, which is provided for engaged but not married yet couples. This visa gives a great opportunity to travel to the U.S. and get married there. According to the process, the American citizen is supposed to fill a petition for his foreign national wife or husband.

It can not be called as a simple way, due to the amount of documents and evidence required, but still is very common among engaged couples.

You can see that this way of applying for a visa gives people many opportunities, providing several different ways and conditions to apply for a Green Card. By marrying an American citizen, foreigners can receive the right to stay and work in the U.S.

The main requirement remains unchangeable: the marriage can not be fictitious, as such phenomena is illegal.