us embassy london

The U.S. consulates are situated in Belfast, Edinburgh, Cardiff and the U.S. Embassy in London. The offices across the UK work to develop and sustain the important and longstanding relationship between the UK and the USA, and provide consular assistance to US nationals and British citizens.

U.S. Citizen Services at the Embassy in London consist of the Passport & Citizenship Unit, the Special Consular Services Unit, and the Federal Benefits Unit. The Embassy is closed to the public on U.S. and British Public Holidays.

In the local U.S. consulates travelers who want to travel to the U.S. can: establish and renew passports and other official documents, apply for visas to travel and visit the United States on a B1/B2 visa or C1 visa, renew a visa, complete the process for Green Cards etc.

Here is the contact information of the U.S. consulates in the United Kingdom:


U.S. Embassy London

24 Grosvenor Square

London, W1A 2LQ

United Kingdom

Phone: [44] (0)20 7499-9000

U.S. Consulate General in Belfast

Danesfort House

223 Stranmillis Road

Belfast BT9 5GR

Phone: [44] (0)28-9038-6100 (NOT for visa information)

Fax: [44] (0)28 9068 2219

U.S. Consulate General in Edinburgh

3 Regent Terrace

Edinburgh EH7 5BW

Phone: [44] (0)131-556-8315

U.S. Virtual Consulate in Cardiff

c/o U.S. Embassy London

24 Grosvenor Square

London, W1A 2LQ

United Kingdom


From Wales: [44] (0)29-2002-6419

Outside Wales: [44](0)20-7499-9000

Information for the U.S. nationals traveling to the United Kingdom:

The U.S. Consulates are responsible for their own fellow US citizens, living or travelling in the host country. The U.S. Embassy in London provides information and assistance to U.S. citizens in England and Wales. If the U.S. national lives in Northern Ireland, the person should contact the Consulate General in Belfast for assistance. If the visitor resides in Scotland, he/she should contact the Consulate General in Edinburgh for assistance. The visitors can apply for a passport, report Births, Deaths, Marriages, Divorces, Adoptions etc. happened in the host country, they can also receive help with social security, notary services and other issues.