|Instructions in Spanish:|
U.S. Passport Lost or Stolen
Overview of the Application Process for a U.S. Passport
|Procedure Name:||U.S. passport renewal, if it was lost or stolen, Form DS-11, DS-64|
|Purpose:||To renew the passport data, if it was lost or stolen|
|Eligible Applicants:||United States passports are issued to all U.S. citizens. Holders of an expired passport or a valid passport expiring soon are eligible to renew their passport.|
|Validity/Expiration:||U.S. passports are issued for 10 years for adults and for 5 years for minors under age 16.|
|How to Apply:||Order and download this passport renewal information package online now to learn how to renew a U.S. passport and access passport renewal forms.|
Unfortunately is common for Americans to have their personal belongings including passports stolen or lost when traveling abroad. It can be very inconvenient to be out of the U.S. without a passport. In this type of situation it is very important to report your passport stolen, and to apply for a new passport immediately. It is very important to hold a valid non-expired U.S. Passport. There are many countries that won’t allow you to enter if your passport will expired in the next six months or less. An emergency trip can come out at any moment and if your passport is expired it will be very difficult or impossible to travel to another country immediately.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship: One of the main requirements to obtain a United States passport is to be able to present proof of your U.S. citizenship. Any of the following can be used as primary evidence of your United States citizenship:
- Undamaged previously issued Passport
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certificate of Birth
- Naturalization Certificate
- Certified U.S. Birth Certificate (some short abstract versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes)
How to report about a lost / stolen U.S. Passport?
- Fill out the form DS-64 on-line.
- Call back 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793).
- Fill out the form DS-64 and mail to the address indicated on the form.
This page can be found on: www.usimmigrationapplication.org/us-passport/passport-lost-stolen
How to renew a lost or stolen passport?
In order to renew a lost or stolen passport, you must submit a form DS-11 personally.
If you are in the United States and travel about 2 weeks, then assign an appointment to apply in person to the Passport Agency to renew the passport.
If you are in the United States and you are not traveling within 2 weeks, then assign a meeting (if required) to apply in the passport search center.
If you are outside of the United States, contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for the passport renewal.
Information and Instructions about the U.S. Passport Application included in this immigration guide:
- Who is eligible to renew or obtain a new United States passport?
- How to show proof of my American Citizenship?
- How to apply for a new passport?
- Requirements to obtain a new U.S. passport?
- Where to apply for a new United States passport?
- List of passport agencies and passport acceptance facilities.
- How to renew or obtain a new passport if you are currently outside of the United States and your passport was lost or stolen?
- How to obtain a new passport if my passport was lost or stolen?
- Requirements for children obtaining a new passport.
- How long does it take the process of applying for a new US passport?
- Do I need to apply in person?
- Passport photo requirements
- How much are the passport processing fees and what forms of payment are accepted?
- How to rush a passport application to obtain a passport urgently?
- How to check the status of your passport application online?
- General application requirements, processing information and links to official forms.
Disclaimer: We are not affiliated with the government, we are a private publisher of information guides. This product only includes instructions, it does not include filing fees, or any other charges to submit your application.